Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Ancestors

Ancestors

My reflection in polished black granite
Beloved names seem etched upon my face
Here at this place memories flow
From younger days and different ways
In the quietness I am aware
That you are there
Watching me as always
And I ask you...
Do I make you proud?
Do you still recognize me?
Transformed by the years
Here I am with tears, a man now
Composed of folly and wisdom alike
Even so, I have grown so much
Since dust came to dust
Can you see?
The flimsy sapling has become your strong oak tree
My roots are here amongst you
Nurtured by this very soil
And you dwell within my heart and mind
Conjured up in my quiet time
Answering me in the ethereal glow of the sunset
Lest I forget your loving presence
Embracing me in the wind whistling through green leaves
So that I may receive your blessings
My family, my foundation, my ancestors
May my roots sink deeper in your love
May my branches spread wider above
Guide me
Eternally

JMC
5/23/06
(c) 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment