Monday, November 1, 2010

Enlargeth Gad

Greetings in the Most Precious & Divine Name of our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ who has in this day revealed Himself to us in the Wonderful Personality of H.I.M. Haile Selassie I.

Greetings through the Orthodox Faith, not a faith of writs or rites, vows, nor laws, but an inward function of the heart, acquired through a Mystical Incorporation, or Unity in One, in plain words to be Born Again.

Greetings through the Twelve Tribes of Israel, which was once lost and scattered abroad, but has now been founded on the island of Jamaica since 1968 by Our Beloved Prophet, Brother Gad, and now functioning internationally!

Greetings also in the Ethiopian Royal House of David now being represented by Our Beloved Crown Prince Zere Yacob Asfa Wossen Haile Selassie I. We pray for the Restoration of the Monarchy! Selassie I!



The words above are the official greetings of the Twelve Tribes of Israel, the Rastafari mansion, or organization, which was founded by
Dr. Vernon Carrington Gad, known by his followers as Gadman or Prophet Gad. Today, November 1st , is the Earthstrong of the beloved Gadman. Although he no longer trods the earth in flesh, his works and teachings will endure.

In Rastafari, there is a central unifying concept which mostly revolves around Emperor Haile Selassie I, Marcus Garvey and the idea of African liberation, but the interpretation of these personalities and other tenants within the movement vary from Rasta to Rasta, especially those within one of the major mansions. For instance, the Bobo Shanti Rastas praise Edward Emmanuel along with Haile Selassie I and Marcus Garvey as part of their trinity. Nyahbinghi Rastas may hold one of the bongo elders or ones like Leonard Howell as the next central figure. However, I as a Twelve Tribes Rastafarian see Gadman as the next most influential person in Rastafari.

A reasoning about Prophet Gad has been a long time coming. Although I never actually got the opportunity to meet the man, he has had one of the greatest spiritual influences on me. I came to know of Gad soon after a shift in my life, when soul-searching, prayer, and the love and care of bredrens and sistrens brought me to a new overstanding. By the age of 22, I was seriously starting my trod as a Rastafari. My approach to Rastafari has partly to do with the reason why I crossed paths with the Twelve Tribes of Israel. I was raised as a practicing Catholic, had a good education, and for the most part used my intelligence. I had a keen spiritual sense and strong faith, but also a logical and scholarly way of thinking. That same sense allowed me to closely study the history of Africa, of Ethiopia, and the Bible. As I started my trod, many things in Rastafari harmonized with me, but some did not. Certain things I could not sight because of what I knew historically and biblically, and because of my own identity and ethnicity. Perhaps I was approaching certain Rastafari reasonings from a different angle, perhaps I was not accepting it esoterically or allegorically (I did eventually expand past my “comfort” zones). Either way, I was seeking to continue my trod, but find ones who I could identify with and grow with as I went on my journey. My close bredren spoke of the Twelve Tribes, I heard of the Twelve Tribes in the reggae music I listened to, I came across reasonings in books and online. The spirit of Truth and of acceptance vibed with me and more and more I sought out to find out about this Twelve Tribes of Israel organization within the Rastafari movement. I began to follow many of Gad’s teachings but I soon wanted to formally be a part of it. Eventually I got a telephone number for the closest headquarters... I called, explained I wanted to visit and who I was, and I was warmly encouraged to come. By the time I was 23, I had officially become a member of TTOI, and perhaps worried my family that I was joining an obscure cult, but I eventually had time to explain all of that too, and Dr. Vernon Carrington’s teachings helped. I suppose I stepped right in his footpath.

Vernon Carrington had been a member of the Ethiopian World Federation in Jamaica, when he had a revelation and began to closely read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. He started to identify with one of the Twelve Tribes of Israel spoken about in the Old Testament, the Tribe of Gad. Eventually he saw it as his duty to reunite Israel which was scattered throughout the world and his message brought him many followers in Trench Town, Kingston. He told others to read the Bible cover to cover, just like he did, and seek answers for themselves. Gadman brought something unique to the Rastafari movement in the late 1960’s. Something that earned him the criticism of many others within the Rasta community. His teachings were quite unorthodox compared to the traditional Nyahbinghi roots anchored in the philosophies of the “Holy Piby” and Leonard Howell’s “The Promise Key”. Many Rastas knew and followed Scripture, but mostly Genesis, Revelation and the Psalms. Because the Bible was seen as the tool of the oppressors, much of it was forsaken. Yet Bro. Gad said it was all important to read the entire Bible because the message within remained true.

Gadman began to fill in a gap that had grown between Rastafari and Christianity, and in actuality also the very words and identity of H.I.M. Haile Selassie I. He encouraged literacy and education, having followers read the Bible a chapter a day along with the speeches of Haile Selassie I and Marcus Garvey. He also asked followers to get a Metaphysical Bible Dictionary and to read the daily newspaper. Many Rastas did not (and still do not) read the utterances of Selassie or Garvey for themselves. Many were not literate in the Bible outside of certain passages. Things are mostly communicated orally and musically in Rastafari, but Gad was saying for people to check things for themselves and seek Truth by using their own intelligence and not the words of others... even those of himself. So with a firm foundation of to build on, Prophet Gad continued to reveal more teachings. Brother Gad taught that by reading the entire Bible, one would find the relevance of both the Old and New Testaments and recognize that Jesus Christ was the savior, and also that the Spirit of Christ could be found in the personality of H.I.M. Haile Selassie I. One would be able to overstand this concept through the eternal promises to David, the Davidic Covenant which so many Christians neglect to this day. He taught that anyone could identify with the Twelve Tribes of Israel according to their month of birth. Each tribe represented a part of the body of Christ and had its own faculties and tendencies along with their own designated color.

If being saved by Jesus Christ’s name was not enough of a shock to the Rasta community, the revelations would continue to cause a disturbance. He said “whosever will may come”, and rather than deal with race, he spoke of humanity as the decedents of Noah’s three sons: Ham, Shem and Japheth. Therefore all were welcome and all were bredren, there was no racial discrimination. Gad reminded Rastafari people that women stood next to man as equals and were represented in the organization. Although there was a lot of talk about Mama Africa and Queen Omega, women had a history of being considered, or at least treated, as second-class in the traditional patriarchy of Rastafari. In Twelve Tribes, women had important roles and positions. Gad taught that faith was not of writs or rites, and therefore there was no doctrine of race, sex, food, hair, smoking or holidays... rather ones were saved by grace and adherence to certain practices was optional. Gad encouraged ones to act as princes and princess and to carry themselves as royalty. He taught that marriage was good and important for raising families, and that proper burials were not a problem because man was flesh. These are things that some traditional Rastas have avoided. Gad taught ones to spread the message of unity through music and TTOI began to host stage shows and dances, and record reggae artists. In fact some of the biggest reggae superstars were Twelve Tribes members: Bob Marley, Dennis Brown, Freddie McGregor, Judy Mowatt, Sister Carol, Junior Byles, Brigadier Jerry, Israel Vibration, Denroy Morgan and Morgan Heritage... and many others. The message still continues in the words of other artists, for instance Luciano and Messenjah Selah, who as far as I know may not officially be Twelve Tribes members but adhere to many of the concepts.

Prophet Gad stressed the importance of organization. He began formal membership, had a system of succession, and centralized headquarters in Jamaica and then wherever the mansion was established. Dr. Vernon Carrington’s message spread internationally to twenty houses in eighteen countries all over the world: Jamaica, Ethiopia, Ghana, Grenada, Australia, New Zealand, England (Manchester & London), Barbados, Sweden, Suriname, Cayman, USA (New York & California), St. Vincent, Trinidad and Tobago, Canada, Kenya, Germany and Guyana. Members would have one voice with uniform greetings and banners (red, gold and green hats). Gadman also spoke of being diplomatic and cooperate with authority (within reason of course). Headquarters display the flags of Ethiopia and the local country, a photo of the local head of state is within the HQ (in America that included Bush). The concept is in line with the Bible in accordance to the words of Yeshua (Jesus) who said to give unto Caesar what is Caesar’s. Therefore Twelve Tribes in non-political and peaceful and does not set out to stirrup conflict.

Brother Gad stressed the importance of repatriation back to Ethiopia. While this is a central tenant of Rastafari, Gad and the Twelve Tribes fulfilled this by sending members to live in Shashamane Land and recommended that all of the different mansions and individuals with Rastafari join together there under the Jamaican Rastafarian Development Community. Finally, Gadman showed ones that Selassie’s divinity and anointment are significant because he has prepared David’s throne for Christ’s coming, and called us to rally around Jehovah Throne. He taught ones to recognize that H.I.M. Haile Selassie I designated his son and grandson, Zere Yacob, to succeed the throne and that the Davidic/Solomonic Monarchy of Ethiopia continues beyond Selassie I until Shiloh, the return of Christ comes, because Israel shall never be short of a king or a prophet. The Twelve Tribes has organized benefits for the exiled family where they have attended. So Gadman has united the Twelve Tribes of Israel with the King, both physically and metaphysically.

All of these visions and teachings of Dr. Vernon Carrington, The Prophet Gad, helped bring Rastafari beliefs in order with what is revealed in the Bible and what has been spoken by H.I.M. Haile Selassie I, as well as Marcus Garvey. All of Gadman’s teachings have Biblical compliments... the holy foundation that even His Majesty claimed to glorify and said that all “all the ancient Scriptures were written for Our instruction...”. Gad’s teachings have received criticism and ridicule from other Rastas not willing to accept such things as the fullness of the Bible, or the idea of being saved by grace through Christ, or the inclusion of different nationalities in the unification of Israel. Some have even ridiculed members for being more educated and economically stable, which seems more like resentment. Nevertheless, how can Rastafari people argue with His Majesty? Ultimately Gad’s works reveal the reason why H.I.M. Haile Selassie I is the King of Kings. Twelve Tribes eventually became the largest and most organized of all the Rastafari mansions. The people influenced by Gadman’s revelations are twice as much, even if they don’t realize they are receiving lessons through some of the songs of Bob Marley, Dennis Brown, or Morgan Heritage.

I give thanks to Bro. Gad for what he has shown JAH people. I remember following his advice and when I started reading the Bible a chapter a day even before I joined Twelve Tribes. It took me three and a half years and I gained so much wisdom and knowledge. Although I haven’t read it through again consecutively, I keep the Bible handy at all times. In addition I read the Kebra Nagast and other books taken out of the Bible, like the Book of Enoch. I continued to read the Utterances of His Majesty and the Philosophy and Opinions of Marcus Garvey. The greatest thing was that I was not commanded to do a thing, or forced to believe anything. I was only encouraged by Brother Gad and the executive body at TTOI HQ in NY to read the Bible a chapter a day to find the truth for myself. This is the same way Gadman taught his followers, and the same way they are still taught... to cross the bridges in our gaps of understanding and come closer to JAH and the teachings of His Majesty while operating with love and unity. While I am a Twelve Tribes of Israel member, I have also sighted up things outside of the main tenants of the organization... as I am sometimes carried along by the natural mystic of Rastafari, and the Nyahbinghi teachings that go beyond Scripture. However, thanks to Bro. Gad, I always have the firm foundation of Orthodox Faith to stand on, and ultimately the Truth reveals itself in JAH Word.

Our beloved Prophet Gad passed on in 2005. I remember calling the Twelve Tribes HQ in NY to double check if the news was true. I attended a memorial for him at NYC and was wishing I could have gone to Kingston for the gathering of Israel at his funeral. Years later I did reach, and I met Sister Vie (Sister Dinah), Gadman’s wife. It was an honor to meet her and shake her hand at the Twelve Tribes organ in Kingston. I could only express how thankful I was for Bro. Gad’s teachings and how they changed my life and overstanding of my faith. He stopped his breath to save the people... surely there was a prophet amongst us. So, Israel continues to enlargeth Gad!

"And of Gad he said, Blessed be he that enlargeth Gad: he dwelleth as a lion, and teareth the arm with the crown of the head." - Deuteronomy 33:20


Long Live The Prophet Gad! Read your Bible a Chapter a Day!

Are You Picking Up?,
JAHsh
Joshua Curzan
Simeon

5 comments:

  1. WHAT YOU MUST DO TO BE SAVED

    To be saved, you must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31).

    However, that's not all. Sacred Scripture clearly shows other things you must also do to be saved:

    You must endure to the end. Matthew 10:22, Matthew 24:13, Mark 13:13.

    You must accept the Cross (suffering). Matthew 10:38, Matthew 16:24-25, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23, Luke 14:27.

    You must be baptized with water. Mark 16:16, Titus 3:5, I Peter 3:20-21.

    You must be a member in God's true church. Acts 2:47.

    You must confess your sins. James 5:16, I John 1:9.

    You must keep the Commandments of God. Matthew 5:19-20, Matthew 7:21.

    You must heed the words of St. Peter, the first Pope. Acts 11:13-14, Acts 15:7.

    You must eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ. John 6:51-58, I Corinthians 10:16, I Corinthians 11:23-29.

    Our justification comes from the grace of God. Grace is favor, the free and undeserved help that God gives us to respond to His call to become children of God, adoptive sons, partakers of the divine nature and of eternal life. CCC 1996, John 1:12-18, John 17:3, Romans 8:14-17, 2 Peter 1:3-4.

    The only Church that meets all the requirements of Salvation is the Holy Catholic Church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The So Called Holy Catholic Church Is A Fraud..They Are Liars.The Original Christian Churches Of Italy Were Started By Black Hebrew Israelites Who Were Followers Of Yesus Kristos.Man Like Pope Gregory, Saint Clement, Saint Christopher & So Many More...The Caucasian Race Knew Nothing Of God Or His Son Before Black People EnlightenvThen. Get Your Fact Correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Only Way To The Father Is Through His Son...H.I.M Is Yesus Kristos In His Kingly Character..Long Live The Prophet Gad..Soon See Home (ShaSha) Again..Jah Guide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gadman said" Same Spirit but different flesh."

      Delete
  4. Respect to the Twelve Tribes organization worldwide and may peace be upon Doctor Vernon Carrington Gad.

    ReplyDelete