Monday, July 10, 2006

Tutto vero, gli Azzurri... Campioni Del Mondo!

Today is a historical day. A fourth star can be added to the logo of the Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio... that is the Italian Football Federation. I have been waiting for this day for a lifetime, or at least most of a lifetime. Italia has won the World Cup once again after many years, the first Italian victory since 1982 after some heartbreaking close calls. The Azzurri, Italy's national team named after the blue color of their uniforms, have been singing the blues instead, but that all changed today. Italy has now won the world cup 4 times: 1934, 1938, 1982... and 2006.

For as long as I can remember I have enjoyed watching the World Cup and rooting for Italy along with my family and friends. It is not just about soccer, football, or calcio as the Italians call it... but a rallying point for a culture and heritage that I share. It has been especially nostalgic this year because my trod with Rastafari and its own unique culture can sometimes overshadow my personal and ethnic roots. So I have been showing some Italian pride, and for this past month and a half I have been pouring over statistics and familiarizing myself with the athletes, or recalling veteran players from World Cups past... and the players I used to love watching who have retired from the game. I can remember in 1994, the final game was Italy vs. Brazil, and it ended in penalty kicks. Unfortunately it ended with Italy losing after Roberto Baggio, a great all-time player and one of my favorites to watch, had missed. In 1998 Italy was matched against France in the semifinals and that game went into penalty kicks as well... and Italy lost. In 2002, Italy didn't do too well, period. So you can imagine my anxiety as a fan when this final World Cup game ended in... penalty kicks. Yet, somewhere in the back of my mind I had the feeling that this could be the year... a great goal-keeper, Gianluigi Buffon, the confidence of a strong team, and the absence of France's star Zinedine Zidane after some bizarre head-butting. I was on the edge of my seat, barely blinking as the PK's proceeded. Minutes afterward... the game ended and the Azzurri, team Italia, had won. Satisfaction. I would be celebrating with the paisanos in Middletown, or Hartford... my good friend called me from Little Italy, NYC a few minutes ago... but I am enjoying the victory in my own way. Besides I am tired from being out the night before. Either way, Italy has won and I am extremely happy. Forza Italia!!

This was an exiting World Cup and not only for my own biased reason; the joys of victories, the agonizing defeats, the glory of the game. Other than my beloved Italy, I was following other teams and players as well. I was sad to see Trinidad & Tobago not advance to the second round, but enjoyed the way that they played. Ghana also played very hard, especially in the second round game against Brazil. USA, well maybe next time. The World Cup is such a great event, and truly on a worldwide scale. Now I will have to bide my time watching or reading about international friendly games and smaller tournaments while enduring another 4 long years for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. I am glad to see it taking place there, I hope it does alot for the continent and brings more notoriety to the deserving African players who are continuing to become a forces to be reckoned with in the world of soccer. Now it is back to the real world, everything continues as usual... I'll miss the excitement of the games and the coverage, since there is barely any appreciation for soccer here in the States. Oh well, perhaps its for the best, so I can function like a normal person. But I still have a summer to soak in the Italian victory and be a FIFA fanatic. SI, TUTTO VERO... ITALIA, CAMPIONI DEL MONDO!! FORZA ITALIA, FORZA AZZURRI!!

JAHsh
The I-Talian Rastaman

No comments:

Post a Comment