Friday, June 9, 2006

World Cup Soccer Fever

Well it is finally here after four long years... the World Cup. I remember back in 2002 (back in 2002?! that just does not sound right), when I was still living in NJ at my soon-to-become-ex's house, and when I was working on my senior seminar at Seton Hall and working at a wine store. I would stay up late at night and watch the games broadcasting live from South Korea/Japan on Univision at 2 or 3 in the morning. Yes, that was crazy. Now four years later I am up here in CT living with my family, busy finishing my Master's and wondering where all the time went and where I'll be in another four years. Many of my favorite and famous players are not on the teams this year. Some new teams made it for the first time. Trinidad & Tobago are in the World Cup this year, ironically I was supposed to go there during the summer of 2002 with my ex to visit her family. Anyway, thankfully the games are broadcasting at decent times of the day since they are being played in Germany this year, so I won't lose any sleep. On the otherhand they will be playing while I am at work. Hey, what can you do.

Yes, I love soccer... well, football as the rest of the world calls it, and calcio as the Italians say. My favorite team is Italia of course... gli Azzurri! It is a good time for me to take pride in my heritage. I am also rooting for Trinidad & Tobago, Argentina, Poland and Germany (my other ethnicities), Ghana, and Ivory Coast... oh yeah U.S.A., they actually have a chance this year. Brazil is always fun to watch too, but they are the rivals of all my teams. I won't predict a winner, I am just enjoying the ride.

The World Cup is such an amazing thing, teams and players from all over the world coming together to play one game. I love watching all of the different color flags and uniforms, different color people and languages, all playing by the same rules. The excitement, the athletic skill, the pride and celebration. Imagine if the governments and nations could follow the example of the "beautiful game".

FORZA AZZURRI!!! VIVA ITALIA!

JAHsh

No comments:

Post a Comment